Tuesday 14 December 2010

Soft, strong and WRONG

Time is turning me into a right cynical so-and-so. Case in point: I saw a news article today about the new Andrex toilet roll ad campaign, which has a CGI puppy in it instead of the real thing. My instant reaction was "oh, they're blatantly hoping that some poor sod with nothing better to do will instigate a Facebook 'bring back the real puppy' campaign in order to drum up more publicity". And, even though this may indeed be true, the fact that it entered my head before anything else makes me feel a bit sad.

Sadness aside, perhaps I'll create a 'YEAH I TOTES LOVE THE NEW CGI ANDREX PUPPY, THOUGH PERSONALLY I PREFER CHARMIN BOG ROLL' Facebook group just to prove that us consumers aren't that easily manipulated...

...Oh my God, it's worse than I thought, Andrex have actually created a Facebook page themselves. Check out the comments. And look how many fans it's got. WE ARE DOOMED (and here's a page that someone else has created).

OK, cynicism is in this case justified. Sigh.

4 comments:

PJ said...

I hate it when Marketing gurus think that they are smarter than the consumer, and hate it even more when they succeed in being smarter than the consumer.

BTW if you start the Charmin Bog Roll page you will have my like.

I love reading your blog. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I would leave a link to this blog on the facebook pages, but I would have to "like" first, so I won't!

Rosie said...

And they've even got blog posts about them..

hayjane said...

PJ: I'm not going to start that Facebook group I'm afraid, in fact I'm even annoyed that this post is giving them publicity!

Anonymous: good decision

Rosie: Do you mean this one, or are their others? *Googles*...