Saturday 12 July 2008

In awe of the opera

I saw Tosca last night - my first ever opera. It was part of the annual Opera Holland Park season, and it rocked. I mean, I was expecting it to be good, but not THAT good. I was lucky enough to have a free ticket, thanks to the ever-generous Harris family, who are heavily involved in the W11 Children's Opera. It was absolutely tipping it down during the performance, but I actually felt that the stormy conditions added to the drama and atmosphere. I wish I could give the show the review it deserves here, but since it was my first operatic experience I have nothing to compare it to. But judging by the recent write-ups in the Guardian and Independent, I appear to have done all right for my first one. Aside from the amazing performances, what really bowled me over was the quality of the portaloos. They had dado rails and moisturiser for goodness sake! I've arrived!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the crit Glad you enjoyed the opera. And at least you liked our toilets - most people complain about them!

Mike, Opera Holland Park.